‘Ragged Souls’ by Ernesto San Giacomo

Ragged Souls

A collection of quirky, supernatural tales that explore the dark side of the human psyche. In ‘A Purveyor of Odd Things’, we meet a plodding but hard-working detective who sets out to solve a puzzling phenomenon. Then there’s the two sisters in ‘Martha’s Kitchen’ who long for the old days when the members of their community stayed together. Finally, an argumentative couple make a classic mistake that leads to a strange meeting on a lonely road.

This book of stories has been on my to-read list for a long time, so I’m happy to have finally found time to enjoy it. Ernesto San Giacomo’s tales are varied and interesting in style and language. His characters in the first tale (my favourite), were lovingly created and well-drawn, though it felt a little as though they’d been cut-off-in-their-prime, as I’d hoped to see more of them before the denouement. However, I loved the simple observations and details of the story and the ingenuity of the author’s ideas. The other two tales were equally well crafted, and I couldn’t help wonder what delights this writer might serve up on a longer piece of work.

An excellent collection that promises well for the future.

Back to the Blog

6 comments for “‘Ragged Souls’ by Ernesto San Giacomo

1. January 2, 2018 at 15:45

This is a nice review, Colin, it sounds very interesting.

• January 2, 2018 at 15:56

Thanks Robbie – I’m a sucker for a good story!

2. December 28, 2017 at 14:44

Why thank you Colin.
    I’ve heard that sentiment before concerning “A Purveyor of Odd Things”, and have often wondered about turning it into a screenplay.
    P.S. Did you pick up on all of the little word games? 🙂

• December 28, 2017 at 19:32

Word games? Er…no. Obviously I’m not as sharp as I thought I was!

• December 28, 2017 at 20:10

Just a few hints at the beginning to play with the concept of a Doppelganger, like…”Back to back DOUBLES..” “DOUBLE or nothing…” “…I hate losing to the TWINS” The twins who own the occult shop.
        “Vaporous eddying froth” (anagram for A Purveyor of Odd Things)
        Detective RENNER Branson from WASSAW County P.D. and HANNAH who works at NOLA’S SALON (Palindromes to hint at the reflective nature of a Doppelganger)
        I had some fun writing that one:-)

• December 29, 2017 at 10:03

Ah yes, I noticed Hannah and Renner but thought it was just a coincidence. (This is where I’d insert some witty palindrome, if I could only think of one…)

Liked by 1 person