‘Dark Visions’ Edited by Dan Alatorre

Dark Visions

Compiled and edited by Dan Alatorre, this is another gathering of spooky stories that will appeal to horror fans, with tales from 27 different authors, including Alatorre himself.

What I like about collections of horror stories is that there’s usually something for everyone – whether you enjoy being scared witless or prefer to digest something that’ll make you consider the unknown, this is no exception. From the opening tale (by DT himself), we are plunged into the dark and creepy streets of New Orleans where an old skull catches the eye of a naïve tourist. As with many of the stories in this volume, it’s not one to read on a dark night with the wind whistling through the trees.

Allison Maruska’s box full of photographs (in The Stranger) left me with a feeling of uneasiness, while Jennifer Ruff sets the scene for a new start for her ailing heroine in The Right Time to Move On. Other tales, such as JA Allen’s The Storm begin pleasantly enough with a hot night and a family that can’t sleep, but an old flame heralds a menacing presence. There are thoughtful and suitably creepy contributions from Ernesto San Giacomo, (whose mysterious villain gets more than he bargained for), Robbie Cheadle and Geoff LePard, as well as Dabney Farmer and Christine Valentor, who also featured in Alatorre’s previous collection, The Box Under the Bed.

A truly splendid anthology of horror stories that’ll please anyone who enjoys things that go bump in the night.

Back to the Blog

12 comments for “‘Dark Visions’ Edited by Dan Alatorre

1. January 13, 2019 at 18:31

Reviews mean so much to us all. Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

2. January 13, 2019 at 18:24

Reblogged this on Robbie's inspiration and commented:
    Author Colin Garrow, who writes splendid stories about Sherlock Holmes among others, has written a fabulous review of Dark Visions Horror Anthology [in which I have two short stories].

3. January 13, 2019 at 18:17

Thank you, Colin, for this wonderful review of Dark Visions.

• January 13, 2019 at 18:21

You’re welcome, Robbie. It was interesting to see how different your writing is in this genre from your other work. Nice one.

Liked by 1 person

• January 14, 2019 at 18:04

Horror/supernatural is something new I am experimenting with, Colin. I have just finished my first full length novel in this genre and am going through the editing process.

• January 15, 2019 at 07:14

Excellent, can’t wait!

Liked by 1 person

4. January 13, 2019 at 15:25

Hi Colin,
    Glad you enjoyed the anthology. Allison’s ‘The Stranger’ gave me the creeps as well.

Liked by 1 person

• January 13, 2019 at 16:24

Thanks Ernesto. I really liked your ‘Reaper’ character and the nice twist (didn’t see that coming).

• January 13, 2019 at 18:48

I was worried that I gave it away early…but nobody noticed.

• January 13, 2019 at 19:50

No, not at all. Great piece of writing.

• January 14, 2019 at 18:05

I enjoyed your story too, Ernesto. I liked the twist. I am listening to the whole book as an audio book.